Party Wall Matters
Approached by an existing client who required a range of our professional services including, to obtain Planning Approval, prepare Building Regulation/Construction Drawings and administer Party Wall Award.
Originally approached in mid 2019, our client had recently purchased an end of terrace 1930’s property. Located in a highly desirable residential area near to the town centre of Bromley.
Our client was looking at undertaking a full refurbishment of the property, including rear and loft extension. Therefore, our experienced team to achieve planning from Bromley Council. In addition, working closely with our clients appointed consultant engineer, as their details to be included in Building Regulation/Construction drawings. Finally, DMP appointment of Building Owner Party Wall Surveyor under the Party Wall Act 1996.
DMP establish our client “wish list” and their aspirations with the property. In particular the internal layout to suit their requirements and future family needs.
Our surveyor undertook a detailed measured survey of the ground and first floors. Importantly, collecting details of the principal elevations, including adjoining properties and external areas in particular below ground drainage.
Preparation of the existing drawings also included detailed front, rear and side elevations including typical sections as the property was elevated above ground level to the rear due to sloping site. Once agreed with the client a planning application was submitted to Bromley Council.
Granted permission to include:
- hip to gable end loft conversion.
- rear dormer with Juliet balcony.
- rooflights to front roof slope and removal to two chimney stacks.
- single storey 6 metre extension with glazed roof and lantern light.
- new decking/garden terrace.
Our team have specialist local planning knowledge, as such, we were able to understand the clients specific requirements and kept them fully informed, together with regular communication with Bromley Council.
On receipt of granted planning permission, we quickly set about preparing detailed Building Regulation/Construction drawings. Referring to our approved suppliers list, we approached three Structural Engineering Consultancy firms for quotations.
DMP liaised closely with our client during the development of the detailed drawings to ensure exact details for fixtures and fittings. Careful consideration of the Building Regulations 2010 Approved Documents observed.
Some key items included within the drawing package:
- floor, wall and roof construction make up
- construction details/specifications for damp proof membranes/courses
- ventilation strategy
- above and below ground drainage
- glazing calculations as exceed 25% of proposed floor area
- u-values of new roof, wall, floor, windows, and doors.
- fire safety, resistance and automatic smoke detection/alarms
During our initial inspection we identified a ‘Build Over’ Notice was required from Thames Water. The property is at the end of a terrace with the adjoining properties drainage passing under the proposed ground floor extension. Our team administered the paperwork and submitted to Thames Water with accompanying detailed drawings for approval.
Our client appointed DMP to act on their behalf as Building Owner Surveyor in accord with the Party Wall Act 1996. Upon formal issuing of Party Wall Notices the Adjoining Owner appointed DMP as the Agreed Party Wall Surveyor to act on both the client and adjacent neighbour.
The agreed surveyor’s responsibilities included:
- reviewing the proposed works and constructional details.
- serving the appropriate and correct notices for the works.
- assessing the impact of the works to adjoining owners and reviewing the method of works to reduce the risk of adverse damage to neighbouring structure.
- arrange access to the Adjoining Owners property and record condition for inclusion of Schedule of Conditions.
- issue and serve Party Wall Awards to Building/Adjoining Owners.
To conclude, our client appointed their contractor based on the final package presented by DMP and completed the works in late 2020. Throughout the works DMP liaised directly with the Adjoining Owner with respect any questions or further information they required.